Uwell Crown 2 Tank Review:
Today we will take a look at our Uwell Crown 2 tank review.
After the huge success of the original Crown tank, which has won a place as one of the best all-round tanks for amazing flavour and very good clouds, Uwell comes to release the newest, upgraded version of the original, the Crown II.
The first version of the Crown was an impressive tool, mostly because of the solidity of its construction. Quartz glass was used for the tank, in order to withstand higher temperatures and very high quality stainless steel for the main body of the tank. The coil construction was an innovative point as well. Stainless steel was used and that provided an impressive longevity in the coil lifespan, one of the best we have encountered so far.
The New Crown 2
The new Crown II comes with new, added features and the promise to excel in all the points where the previous version might not have done. Does it deliver? Yes and no. For sure there are some very good points. The flavour has been improved and is now much smoother, while the airflow and the e-liquid capacity is better.
Before I go on with what you will find in the kit, I will discuss all the main features and specifications of the Crown II and how they are improved compared to the original Crown.
New Features Of The Uwell Crown 2
- E-liquid Capacity: The Crown II features an increased e-liquid capacity of 5ml compared to the Crown which had an e-liquid capacity of 4ml. Even this extra ml can make a difference, especially when using the lower Uwell Crown 2 coils compatible with the tank, when the tank becomes particularly ‘thirsty’.
- Coil Design: New coil heads are used in the Crown II and have a cone shape connector, in order to create a smoother airflow.
- Coil Resistance: Uwell has given a lot of consideration to the coils used in the new tank. The original Crown included in the kit three coils (a 0.25 Ohm dual coil pre-installed, a 0.5 Ohm dual coil and a 0.15 Ohm Ni200 Nickel coil for use with temperature control). The Crown II includes in the kit two (2) coils and a parallel coil design, a 0.25 Ohm which is suggested for larger clouds and a 0.5 Ohm coil for users who are seeking a balance between vapour and flavour.
- RBA: Uwell sells the RBA with everything you need for the Crown II, you will need to buy this separately and it costs $8.99. You can use the RDA for the Uwell Rafale tank, which is compatible for the Crown II as well.
- Anti-leaking Top-Fill Design: It is very easy to fill with e-liquid from the top. Just turn the top cap counter clockwise and fill with e-liquid through the two large slots which are even bigger in size than the ones in the previous version.
- Juice Tank Locking Screw: An important feature that has been well thought of to minimize any possibility of leaking. With the new locking system which is located in the top cap, you can safely take off the top cap to refill with e-liquid while making sure that the tank and the bottom will not be taken apart.
- New chimney design: The chimney has been redesigned to perfect the flavour and this is truly noticeable.
- Dual Adjustable Bottom Airflow Slots: These have also been redesigned to become larger and allow for more airy vapes. Feed is made directly on the base of the redesigned coils, allowing a better heat dissipation and air cooling. Also, compared to the original version, the Crown II has stops for the full closed and fully open position.
- Delrin Insulated Drip-tip: The Crown tank featured a drip tip which could become exceedingly hot with higher wattages. There were users, including me, who experienced this problem and had to restrict vaping in lower wattages to remain bearable. Here, Uwell has substitute the drip tip with one insulated with Delrin, a material that prevents it from getting very hot and therefore making vaping in higher wattages bearable for users who prefer such settings.
The Uwell Crown II Starter Kit
The Crown kit includes:
- (1) Uwell Crown II Stainless Steel Tank
- (1) Delrin insulated drip tip
- (1) Replacement Quartz glass tube
- (1) SUS 316L 0.25 Ohm Parallel Coil (pre-installed)
- (1) SUS 316L 0. 5 Ohm Parallel Coil
- (1) Extra Pack of O’rings
- (1) User Manual
Crown II Specifications
- Tank e-liquid capacity: 5 ml
- Tank height: 66.5mm
- Tank diameter: 24mm
- Tank made of stainless steel and quartz glass
- Top and bottom filling
- Anti-leaking top-filling design
- Tank locking system
- Dual adjustable bottom air slots
- New chimney design for better flavour
- New coil design: Heads with conical shape positive connector for smoother airflow
- Delrin-insulated drip tip
- 510 threading
- Coil compatibility: SUS316 0.25 Ohm Parallel Coil Head (for clouds), SUS316 0.5 Ohm Parallel Coil Head (for balance between vapour and flavour), 0.8 Ohm Parallel Coil Head (for flavour)
- Wattage Range: 60-100W (0.25 Ohm coil), 50-70W (0.5 Ohm coil), 35-55W (0.8Ohm Kanthal coil)
When we got the Crown II tank for the purposes of this review, I had already heard a few negative comments and I was feeling quite wary. So, I wanted to check out for myself and I ran the tank on my Eleaf IStick 100W TC, using a 70/30 juice ratio.
On the good side, it is a very well built tank with high quality materials. Everything, from the quality of materials to the solidity of the tank and the features used, such as the juice tank locking screw, shows quality and thoughtfulness. Nothing happened randomly. I believe that the Uwell Crown II sub ohm tank was designed as an improvement, not only to the original Crown model, but also to the Uwell Rafale model, a model designed to give you big clouds. Up to some point, it is better, especially compared to the Rafale. The vapour production is great, possibly similar to that of the Crown, but the draw is smoother in the new version. I found the best flavour to come from the 0.8 Ohm coils, as suggested. The 0.8 Ohm coils brought the best performance all-over, as well.
What I didn’t like was that the 0.25 Ohm coil, lasted only for a couple of days and there was a lot of spit back. I experienced dry hits after a couple of days. Also, the flavour was kind of muted compared to the original version and the performance only got better with higher wattage. Using higher wattages, the flavour was very clear and full but the tank got very hot, like in most sub ohm tanks when using power more than 70-80 Watts.
I had some leaking issues with this tank, which I did not experience at all with the original Crown. Of course, all recommendations have been followed, closing the airflow while filling with e-liquid, etc. The locking system which locks the tank in the glass obviously helps a great deal, but still, I experienced some leaking issues. To my knowledge, Uwell is fully aware of these coil issues and for this reason they have brought out a few new versions of coils, which means that they fully acknowledge that the coils (except the 0.8 ohm coil) coming with the Crown II have some issues. I suggest that you check with the vendor you intend to buy from, which version of coils they are going to send to you. You can also use the coils of the Uwell Rafale, if you have one already, as they are compatible. Always make sure that you prime your coils properly and let them saturate for a while before using.
Overall, I would say that this is a very solid tank, it is obvious that its quality is top and that the tank is one to last for a long time. It is sleeker in appearance than the previous version, although I did not find the previous one bad. It is a bit better than its predecessor, especially regarding the smoothness of the draw. Flavour-wise, I find it a bit better in higher wattages but not so high that the device will turn hot. I got the best performance out of the 0.8 Ohm coil, which lasted the most as well.
- Suitable for intermediate to advanced users
- Sub-ohm tank
- 0.8 Ohm coil brings great flavour
- Smooth draw
- Bigger clouds than the Crown I
- Very good e-liquid capacity of 5ml
- Very well built, sturdy construction (quartz glass and stainless steel thickness)
- Top and bottom filling system
- Juice tank locking system
- Replacement quartz glass tube included
- Two coils included in the kit compared to the Crown I which included three coils
- Leaking issues, possible that first version of coils were problematic
- Coil longevity of the 0.25 ohm coil is small
The Uwell Crown II is available for only $29.99 (retail price is $34.99), so you save almost 15% on the list price! Additionally, you can follow our links below and use our discount code: ECIGTOPIA at check out and get an extra 10% discount, that is a total 25% on the list price.
If you are based in the U.K., you can get the Uwell Crown 2 for £23.99.
The Uwell Crown II sub ohm tank is a very well built tank that will last in time. Many new thoughtful features have been implemented making the use of the tank really easy. The top and bottom fill option, the 4ml e-liquid capacity, the juice tank locking system, will make the use of the tank a breeze. In terms of performance, there are a few issues which I hope that Uwell will deal with and produce a new batch of coils with top performance. Other than that, the Crown 2 is a high quality tank, vapour and flavour are enhanced, airflow is great and the vape feeling is very smooth. I would highly recommend this tank.